The duty to manage asbestos is contained in regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012. It requires the person who has the duty (ie the ‘dutyholder’) to:
- Find out if there are asbestos containing materials present (most commonly requiring an Asbestos Survey).
- Keep up-to-date, a record of the location and condition of identified/ suspected asbestos- containing materials (the Asbestos Register)
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed asbestos (Material, Priority & Risk Scores)
- Prepare a plan that sets out in detail how the risks from asbestos will be managed (the Asbestos Management Plan)
- Take the necessary steps to put the plan into action
- Periodically review and monitor the plan and the arrangements to act on it so that the plan remains relevant and up-to-date
- Provide information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them (Provide access to your asbestos register to visitors and contractors)